There are different study tips to use depending on where you are in the study process. Maybe illustrations will help you learn easier, or you learn better when listening to the information instead of writing it down? Getting the most boring things out of the way first, might work for you, or maybe it´s more your thing to do the smallest assignments first.
There are different kind of study tips you can use in the different stages of your studies.
General study tips:
1. It´s a good idea to rewrite the notes of the day in the evening. This will help clear up important points, and make the writing more legible. Change abbreviated words and sentences into full sentences. Read through your notes daily.
2. Set early deadlines. That way you won´t have fallen behind when you are close to the exam or when the assignment is due. Break the assignment into parts, so that you don´t feel too overwhelmed by the workload. Give yourself appropriate rewards as you finish your assignments.
3. There is often different kind of groups at school to help you with any problems you might have. If there is none that fit your needs, you could form your own study group with your friends. This will also assure you that you have all the information necessary.
Study tips for class preparation:
4. Read the upcoming chapter before the lecture. Take notes so that you only need to add important information, and know what questions you need to ask. Go through the information from previous lectures, so that the information is fresh in your mind and will help you prepare for your next class.
Study tips while in class:
5. While you´re in class, sit in the same spot each time. If you do this, your body will know that this is where you learn and your concentration will improve.
6. Illustrations can help you learn easier. Depending on what kind of subject you´re studying, it could be a good idea to maybe make a diagram or a timeline. Colour-codes are also a good way to keep information separate and to learn easier.
7. If you´re bored, it´s extra important to take notes. The notes will help you stay focused. Should your professor speak faster than you can take notes, ask him or her if you can bring a tape recorder. When you have the lecture on tape, you can listen to it repeatedly, or just fill in what you´ve missed in your information.
8. It’s good to abbreviate words that you use often, as it will help you write faster. NOTE: Your teacher will often give hints on what is most important in the lecture. This information is repeated often.
9. If there is anything you find unclear, draw a question mark next to the note, and either ask your classmates or professor for further explanation after the lecture.
Study tips while preparing for an exam:
10. Don´t cram, you need your sleep and will only remember the first and last half an hour of what you read. Write a page of notes the night before. When you receive the test, write as much as you can remember of this down. Answer the questions you´re sure of first. Leave the rest for last.